These tales of Trinity Faculty, Administrators, and Alumni of some distinction were researched and written by Emma Paine, a graduate student from Simmons College, during her “archives field study” internship at the Watkinson Library in the summer of 2014. They are presented here to give the Trinity community and the public a sense of the rich and diverse material that is carefully preserved in the archives and to encourage all who love Trinity to support our efforts.
James F. Jones Jr.
A White Paper written for the Faculty Retreat, Trinity College, October 2011.
Ward S. Curran
Trinity College is home to two plaques commemorating visits by U.S. Presidents Theodore Roosevelt in 1918 and Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1954. This essay, written by Ward S. Curran, the Ward S. Curran Distinguished Professor of Economics, Emeritus, explores the context and implications in which two presidents came to visit Trinity, their speeches, and the historical theatres of the times. Further, it explores each President as a man outside the presidency, and how each inscription on the plaques were chosen to represent each President.
Peter J. Knapp and Anne H. Knapp
Recounts the complex, multifaceted process of growth and change that transformed Trinity from the "Hartford local," as it was known in the early 20th century, into a premier national liberal arts college. Expansive in scope, the book takes as its domain everything from presidential administrations to athletics, the U.S. Navy's V-12 program during World War II to curricular reform, expansion of the physical plant to student activism, coeducation to neighborhood involvement. Its pages are filled with the faculty, administrators, students, trustees, alumni, and friends who have cherished the College decade after decade and helped sustain its special character. Complementing the text of this richly informative history is a large number of illustrations taken from the College's visual archives and depicting subjects across the entire span of Trinity's history. (Excerpted from book jacket)
Covers the history of Trinity College from its founding in 1823, through the 1930s.
Marian G.M. Clarke
Chronicles the early history of the Watkinson Library, Hartford CT, founded by David Watkinson, 1778-1857.
Booklet contains descriptions of the features of Trinity's Chapel, and the text of the College President Ogilby's speech during its consecration in 1932.
The Life of James Williams, Better Known As Professor Jim, for Half a Century Janitor of Trinity College
Charles Hayden Proctor
Charles Hayden Proctor, a member of the Trinity class of 1873, wrote this Biography of James Williams or "Professor Jim" (1790 - 1878), janitor at Trinity College for over 50 years and founding member of the African Zion Methodist Church in Hartford. The book contains anecdotes and quotes from Jim about his life, beginning from his childhood in New York as a slave of Colonel John F. Robert, and includes accounts of the duel between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, experience in the early 1800s working on ships and traveling the world, as a servant in Bishop Brownell's service, and many years working as janitor of Trinity College.
Printing is not supported at the primary Gallery Thumbnail page. Please first navigate to a specific Image before printing.